Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Coconutty Grape Banana Smoothie


There's something so special about breakfast. I mean, every meal is amazing, because, you know, cooking and food, but... breakfast.

My morning routine used to be incredibly dull and monotonous. I would wake up for school as late as I possibly could without showing up to school tardy. I'd slither out of bed, eyes half-shut, and pour myself a bowl of cereal to eat while watching the morning news with my dad. Then rush upstairs to get dressed, throw my backpack together, brush my teeth, and hop into the car.

When we got a NutriBullet and I started developing an interest in healthy eating, I entered the wide world of breakfasts through the simple smoothies that I started out with. Today, eating cereal every day seems crazy, and so boring! Why would you want to, when you can make smoothies, smoothie bowls, granola, pancakes, baked oats/other grains, all sorts of porridges, chia pudding, muffins, cookies, mueslis, mug cakes, etc.? It never ends!
Somehow, this whole healthy food thing makes you more mindful of other aspects of your life, and my mornings have changed in ways beyond what I eat. I try to eat outside when I can, to put my phone away, leave the TV off, read a magazine instead. Sometimes I go for a run or do some yoga. And sometimes I just sleep in with the window open, cuddled up in my blankets. But what matters is that I make an effort to savor this quiet time of the day, and it has made such a difference.

The way I spend my morning sets the tone for the rest of my day, and I hope this yummy smoothie recipe inspires you to take it slow in your mornings (when you have the chance)!



Coconutty Banana Grape Smoothie
serves one
310 calories

1 banana
60g green seedless grapes
110g plain Greek yogurt
100g Silk unsweetened coconut milk
1 tbsp (6g) shredded unsweetened coconut
1 tbsp (10g) chia seeds (optional)

1. Peel and slice the banana, then place the slices on a sheet of parchment paper. Put the grapes on the same sheet and pop them in the freezer for a few hours or overnight.

2. When the fruit is frozen, combine all of it with the rest of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

3. Enjoy right away, it'll be nice and cold!
Note: If you use chia seeds, put them in a little cup and stir them together with a little bit of water (about a 1/4 cup, but it doesn't really matter, you can just eye it and then add some more if the seeds look too solid). While you're working on the rest of the smoothie, they will form a gel that is easier to digest and therefore more nutritious than dry seeds!